The Cosmetology program is a comprehensive competency based three year program designed to develop skills used by cosmetologists. Students who wish to enter the program must do so by the start of their sophomore year. The Cosmetology program is certified by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Registration of Cosmetologists. Upon successful competition of the course, which includes the requirement of 1000 instructional hours, students are prepared to take the Board of Registration of Cosmetologists license exam.
All of the professionals in the field of Cosmetology work closely with the public and are regulated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Professional Licensure Board of Registration of Cosmetologists. This Board also sets the curricula requirements and regulates the schools which train candidates in these occupations. The Board protects the health and safety of the public by maintaining high standards for the industry.
Students in the Cosmetology program are introduced to career opportunities in the field of cosmetology which includes hair stylist, manicurist, skin care specialist, cosmetic chemist, and make-up artist. The curriculum, following the guidelines set by the Board of Registration of Cosmetologists, emphasizes toxic use. Under the supervision of licensed instructors in a state of the art equipped classroom/shop, students will learn techniques and skills necessary for success in the beauty industry along with the sciences of the profession including anatomy, physiology, and chemistry. The level one student is exposed to the basic fundamentals of hairdressing. After 250 hours, level two students are able to perform hands-on non-chemical services on clients. Chemicals are introduced to level three students after completing 400 hours. Qualified level four students who have mastered skills in all phases of cosmetology will have the opportunity to extend their learning experience into the world of work in an area salon as part of the Co-operated Education Program.
– Using industry standards students will learn the following competencies:
– Integrated academics through project based learning
– Create a portfolio
– Recognize career pathway opportunities
– Interact safely in a shop environment
– Incorporate the use of industry standard technology and software
– Read, understand, and communicate in the language of the field
– Organize and research information
– Develop a professional appearance, exemplary work ethic and superior communication skills
– Develop customer relations
– Determine customers needs and process work orders
– Use technology to seek diagnostic techniques and repair procedures, parts information and labor rates