The Culinary Arts program is a competency based Chapter 74 and American Culinary Federation approved program that prepares students for careers in hotels, restaurants, resorts, institutions and corporations. The program builds on a foundation of basic knowledge, skills, attitudes, behaviors, and work habits needed to be successful in this demanding industry. Students operate a fully equipped commercial kitchen and dining room encompassing restaurant, banquet, and buffet services through the two student run restaurants: the morning Java Café, serving breakfast, and the Brush Hill Bistro, serving lunch, which are open to the general public two days a week.
Students in the program receive instruction in the form of demonstration, lecture/interactive discussions, and hands-on experience. Students are assessed on industry standard competencies developed by the American Culinary Federation and the Federation of Dining Room Professionals. While meeting these standards and accepting responsibility for time management, food quality, and customer service, students develop skills in baking, culinary techniques, menu planning, and food costs and hospitality management. Training in proper use and maintenance of equipment, culinary tools, sanitation, and proper storage and handling of food are all part of the curriculum. Students in the program have the opportunity to become certified in the areas of ServSafe® Certification and Massachusetts ServSafe Allergen Certification through the National Restaurant Association’s Educational Foundation training program as well as OSHA, CPR and First Aid.
Using industry standards students will learn the following competencies:
– Develop a culinary skill set following the Massachusetts Culinary Arts Frameworks
– Integrated academics through project based learning
– Create a portfolio
– Recognize career pathway opportunities
– Interact safely in a shop environment
– Incorporate the use of industry standard technology and software
– Read, understand, and communicate in the language of the field
– Organize and research information
– Develop a professional appearance, exemplary work ethic and superior communication skills
– Develop customer relations
– Determine customers needs and process work orders
– Use technology to seek diagnostic techniques and repair procedures, parts information and labor rates