develop their own portfolio of fashion designs. Students learn the skills of garment construction and pattern development using state of the art industrial sewing equipment.
Design ability is enhanced by the study of color theory, design principles, and textile science. Project based learning includes creating a variety of garments, costumes for local theatrical productions and custom embroidery.
The business of fashion is a focus of the Fashion Technology program. Students learn the business practices of major fashion retailers from customer service and store management, to buying and visual merchandising. Students create a product and develop a business plan for their product including the financial, production and promotion aspects of business planning.
Emphasis is placed on developing an understanding of fashion terminology, current fashion trends, and a creative approach to the fashion world. Students are exposed to a wide variety of real-world influences including store visits, and field trips. Students read trade publications, learn about fashion history, and study current fashion design collections to expand their understanding of the Industry.
Students learn a variety of career skills vital to success in the industry including resume writing, career planning, developing business presentations, business and research writing, and computer skills. A wide variety of career opportunities in fashion are explored in the classroom setting. Students are encouraged to expand their experiences through job-shadows, internships, and co-op placements in local businesses.
– Using industry standards students will learn the following competencies:
– Integrated academics through project based learning
– Create a portfolio
– Recognize career pathway opportunities
– Interact safely in a shop environment
– Incorporate the use of industry standard technology and software
– Read, understand, and communicate in the language of the field
– Organize and research information
– Develop a professional appearance, exemplary work ethic and superior communication skills
– Develop customer relations
– Determine customers needs and process work orders
– Use technology to seek diagnostic techniques and repair procedures, parts information and labor rates