program is a competency based Chapter 74 approved program aligned with the Massachusetts Department of Education Vocational Technical Education Frameworks – Arts and Communication Services Cluster – Graphic Communication that prepares students for a wide range of career opportunities in the graphic arts and communications industry. Students are assessed on industry standard competencies developed by PrintED®. PrintED® is a national accreditation program, based on industry standards for
graphic communications courses of study at the secondary and post-secondary levels and is a component of the Graphic Arts Education and Research Foundation (GAERF®).
Graphic Communications introduces students to theory and practical aspects of the commercial printing industry. Students gain competencies in traditional and computer-based layout, design, and typesetting; copy preparation and composition; electronic plate making using the DPX Genesis computer-to-plate technology; printing press operations on three two-color presses including the state-of-the-art Hamada H234A true two-color automated off set press; finishing and binding using the Baum Ultra Fold with right angle technology; collating with a Duplo twelve station collating booklet maker; and paper cutting using a computer driven Baum paper cutter. Students use industry standard software on both Macintosh and PC computers with the advantage of gaining experience using both platforms. In addition students will be exposed to digital photography and 4-color silk screening technology.
– Using industry standards students will learn the following competencies:
– Integrated academics through project based learning
– Create a portfolio
– Recognize career pathway opportunities
– Interact safely in a shop environment
– Incorporate the use of industry standard technology and software
– Read, understand, and communicate in the language of the field
– Organize and research information
– Develop a professional appearance, exemplary work ethic and superior communication skills
– Develop customer relations
– Determine customers needs and process work orders
– Use technology to seek diagnostic techniques and repair procedures, parts information and labor rates