Design and Visual Communications
The DVC program is a competency based program that prepares students for the visual design field. Using state of the art digital imaging, illustration, and page layout software and equipment, students learn to apply their creativity to multi-media image composing.
This computer-based program allows students to explore and develop their artistic and technical skills through the creation and presentation of graphic and multi-media projects. Students enhance their skills using software programs such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Students maintain an electronic portfolio and will work on projects such as newspaper ads, logos, multi-page four color publications and newsletters, as well as create products to market and promote. Students strengthen their skills in graphic design by creating brochures, business cards, as well as design an original game and a magazine. Students will also learn to create interactive websites and portfolios using InDesign.
Using industry standards students will learn the following competencies:
• integrated academics through project based learning
• create a portfolio
• recognize career pathway opportunities
• interact safely in a shop environment
• incorporate the use of industry standard technology and software
• read, understand, and communicate in the language of the field
• organize and research information
• develop a professional appearance
• develop exemplary work ethic and superior communication skills
• develop customer relations
• determine customers needs and process work orders